7A Testing the Hypothesis Pt. 1

Opportunity: Drivers in Miami are unable to get to places in a timely manner because there is constantly traffic on all the major roads. Because of this, opening up an express lane in which drivers pay to use may be beneficial.

Who: The drivers of Miami.

What: Can't get anywhere in a timely manner while driving.

Why: There are always accidents and massive congestion on all of the major roads.

Interviews Overview:
Throughout the interviews I was given largely mixed reviews. A majority of the people I talked to told me they didn't have the money or even have a car to use the service. These people stated that they understood the service and see how it could benefit the drivers using it but said it wouldn't effect them as they use buses and bikes to get around. The more people I talked to, the less appealing this business idea seemed. A few people stood out and promptly stated they would love to have an express lane, but they seemed to be more wealthy and younger. The issue in general also didn't seem to be of much concern to most of the people I talked to. They were so used to the way they had lived their whole lives that it wasn't as big of a bother as I would have expected.

Given that I interviewed about 12 people, and only 3 stated they would use the service, the idea seems less likely to succeed. In the heart of Miami people have been dealing with traffic for their entire lives, so the seemingly insufferable drive for me is only a minor inconvenience to them. There is a possibility that in a different, more wealthy geographic location, there would be more people open to the idea, but not in the environment I originally proposed! 


Comments

  1. Hey Stephan,
    My family lives in Fort Lauderdale, but my father commutes (daily) to work in Miami. I speak on behalf of both of us when I say an express lane is an awesome idea! Although there is the Turnpike and a couple express lanes along I-95 at certain points, an additional one would make the commute much quicker for everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally agree with Stephan, I think express lanes are great. The more lanes available for use the better! I am a very impenitent person when it comes to driving and being stuck in traffic, I would certainly take full benefit of more express lanes along major highways in the south florida region. Next time I would interview only people who drive in this area, as that is the only group it will effect.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment