Reading Reflection

Book Read ---> Elon Musk: Tesla, SpaceX, and the Quest for a Fantastic Future, Ashlee Vance

1. What surprised me most about Elon Musk was that he was willing to give everything he had in order to complete his goals. He went from a multi millionaire to nearly losing it all, just to see one idea become a success. Space X almost didn't make it, but now it is able to compete with NASA and is continuously surprising everyone in the world with their innovation!

What most surprised me is also what I most admire about him. The fact that he was so dedicated to his vision that he would give every thing he had just to make it work. His passion for his ideas is incredibly inspirational.

Although there are a number of admirable qualities, Elon Musk also has some that are not quite so admirable. For instance, he is blinded by his visions. He was willing to risk the jobs of all of his employees and himself by going bankrupt.

Elon Musk has encountered adversity and failure, but it never even made him falter. He is so committed to doing good and pushing the world into a new era, that he wasn't fazed by a failure. He learned from it and pushed on, never even slowing down. His first few rockets at Space X failed terribly, but he continued to push on with development and research. And even on the brink of bankruptcy, he didn't hold back.

2. Elon Musk seems to be an incredible leader who's eccentric personality brings out the best and the most in all of his employees. On top of that he is an innovator with such crazy vision that he has made multiple multi million dollar companies.

3. Something I didn't understand was that even though he had multiple  multi million dollar companies, he nearly went bankrupt. And instead of deciding which one he would be able to sustain with the limited amount of money he had left, he continued to pour money into both. By a miracle he was able to make both into profitable companies, but he nearly lost everything by doing so. It seemed to be too great a risk to take, but he did it anyways.

4. I would ask what his drive was. Because his drive has given him the ability to accomplish the impossible on multiple fronts. And the second question I would ask is what advice he has to give to someone like me. That would give me incite into possibilities and allow new doors to open in my future!

5. Elon Musk has put in so much hard work that I can not even fathom it. I, like much of my generation, lack the drive and motivation to push anywhere near as hard as he did. If I believed in something as much as he did that may be different. I think we share the same opinion on hard work in that hard work will take you places. The more you give of yourself, the more you will receive in the long run.

Comments


  1. I’m actually working my way through Elon Musk for the 3rd reading assignment, so I really appreciate your insight! He seemed relentless when it came to dumping money into his companies. He does, however, “dump” lots of effort into all of his companies. I totally agree with your 5th point—it reminds me of the reference to “We Wanted Flying Cars, Not 140 Characters” in the book, basically explaining how innovation seems to be dying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Stephan,
    Great Job, I agree with you what also surprised me the most while reading the book, is how Elon was able to take such huge risks. I also think he is either lucky or has the ability to see thing in was others can't or both.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment